Queer Straight Alliance is a student organisation which promotes and celebrate sexual diversity. The Alliance aims to provide a safe social platform for the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender (LGBT) members both on and off campus.
Through various educational and social initiatives, the members of the Alliance will benefit from educational, personal and social perspectives.
Who can be members?
- Local students
- Exchange students
- University staff
- QSA friends who are interested in the Alliance’s events
QSA/FinS Mentorship Programme 2015-2016
Queer Straight Alliance (QSA) and Fruits in Suits (FinS) collaborate again this year in organising the 6th Mentorship Programme, with the primary goal of establishing a platform for LGBTI university students, or supportive allies, and mentors who are experienced working professionals to interact on a career level. This will involve mentors giving guidance to their mentees in respect of career development, including job applications and interviews, or giving insights about their work experiences in the sector(s) in which they have served or are serving.
As our target participants for the Mentorship Programme would be from the LGBTI friendly community, it would be a great opportunity to discuss LGBTI related issues especially those related to the workplace which we believe would be fruitful to both mentors and mentees. In the past years, we had the majority of mentees from HKU and they were appreciative of having an outlet with someone as accomplished and experienced professional like our mentors and receiving career advice, and some mentor-and-mentee relationships have evolved deeply into long lasting work connections.
This year, we have mentors from a broad range of fields of profession which would help accommodate students with different career aspirations. Mentors are working in different departments at Goldman Sachs, Morgan Stanley, J.P. Morgan, Barclays, HSBC, Bank of America Merrill Lynch, Standard Chartered Bank, Citibank, UBS, Deutsche Bank, Credit Sussie, Ernst & Young, KPMG, Statestreet, Nomura, Bloomberg, Allen & Overy, Clifford Chance, Skadden, Davis Polk, Ralph Lauren, LVMH etc.
The matching exercise would be undertaken based on the profession of the mentor and the academic major or stated preference of the mentee. Hence, we highly suggest our mentees to indicate their preference of mentors clearly during registration to suit their career goals. This matching rationale would be subject to the number of available mentors and mentees in the relevant field. Commitment for the Mentorship Programme will run from this month to May 2016. Alongside the launch event on November 10 at Goldman Sachs, which will be ideally the first occasion for mentors and mentees to meet, we highly suggest our mentees to actively discuss any career matters with their mentors over dinners, coffees, or maybe an outing day at least twice over the period according to the mentee’s career agenda.
All HKU students who are part of or friendly to sexual minorities are welcome to join. If you are interested, please sign up at:
Please also find below the details of the launch event:
Date: November 10, 2015 (Tuesday)
Venue: Goldman Sachs 59th Floor, Cheung Kong Center, 2 Queen’s Road Central
Attire: Business casual
Should you have any enquiries, please do not hesitate to contact QSA at firstname.lastname@example.org
Inclusion Recruitment Conference 2015 – Details are in!
QSA is organizing its 6th Inclusion Recruitment Conference (IRC). It is a precious occasion to meet recruiters from leading financial institutions and law firms to know more about Diversity and Inclusion (D&I) in the workplace.
This year’s IRC is supported and sponsored by some of the most eminent corporates in the banking, financial and legal sectors in the city, which include: Barclays, BlackRock, Cadwalader, Citibank, Clifford Chance, Ernst & Young, Goldman Sachs, Hebert Smith Freehills, J.P. Morgan, McGraw Hill Financial, Morgan Stanley, and Skadden. (in alphabetical order)
Date: October 10, 2015 (Sat)
Time: 15:00 – 18:00, registration starts at 14:45
Venue: Novetel Hotel, Wan Chai
- University students, primarily in their penultimate or final years, who self-identify as diverse based on gender, sexual orientation, disability, race, ethnicity, etc.;
- Corporations that are committed in the area of D&I particularly on LGBT issues; and
- Members of the public who are interested in the latest D&I developments in Hong Kong’s corporate sector.
- Presentation by Community Business – “Expert Advice: Landscape of LGBT inclusion in Hong Kong workplace”, with the latest publication Hong Kong Best Places to Work for LGBT Guide.
- Panel discussions – Speakers from our corporate sponsors and community leaders will discuss D&I issues ranging from campus recruitment to diversity in the workplace. Tentative panels are as follows:
- Workplace D&I discussions
- Personal and social experience sharing
- Exhibition – Recruitment/diversity teams from our corporate sponsors will set up booths where they will interact with our student participants on a more personal basis.
- Learn about common company policies in recruiting, retaining & protecting diverse talents based on gender, sexual orientation, disability, race, ethnicity, etc.;
- Gain a better understanding of the D&I initiatives of leading financial institutions, international law firms and other top-notch businesses;
- Find out about internship and/or graduate job opportunities; and
- Network with senior executives and recruiters and get advice on job applications.
About the Organizer
Queer Straight Alliance (“QSA”) is a student organization promoting the rights and welfare of LGBT communities in Hong Kong. Registered as a society in 2008, QSA is currently the largest network of LGBT students, staff and allies across campuses in Hong Kong and it supports its members through social, educational and career initiatives.
QSA Updates – Diversity Career Series 2014 is OUT!
NEW EVENT! QSA / FinS Mentorship Programme 2014-15
If you are a university student who is lesbian, gay, bisexual or transgender (“LGBT”) or is friendly to LGBT, or if you are a working professional in the LGBT and allies community, you are invited to participate in the QSA/FinS Mentorship Program 2014-15!
The QSA/FinS Mentorship Program is a collaborative project between the largest LGBT student network, Queer Straight Alliance (QSA), and the premier LGBT professionals’ network, Fruits in Suits (FinS), in Hong Kong. QSA/FinS Mentorship Program 2014-15 is strongly supported by Goldman Sachs and the Hong Kong Gay and Lesbian Attorneys Network (HKGALA).
NEW EVENT! Inclusion Recruitment Conference 2014
Following previous years’ success, QSA is once again organizing our annual Inclusion Recruitment Conference (“IRC”), which will be held on 11th October 2014 (Saturday) (13:00 – 17:00) at Novotel Century Hong Kong Hotel. Dr York Chow, Chairperson of the Hong Kong Equal Opportunities Commission, will be our keynote speaker. IRC2014 will be themed “Be Who You Are, Do What You Dream”.
Students will be able to discuss Diversity and Inclusion issues with senior executives and meet recruiters from our corporate sponsors. If you self-identify as diverse (based on race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, gender, etc) or you are interested in learning about D&I developments in in the Hong Kong corporate sector, REGISTER NOW to attend IRC2014: http://goo.gl/JoCQ4y
Confirmed sponsors of IRC2014 include the following: Barclays, BlackRock, Clifford Chance, Goldman Sachs, Herbert Smith Freehills, J.P. Morgan, Skadden (And still counting!)
QSA Past Events –
Mentorship Program 2013-14: Step Out, Step Up and Step Forward
Queer Straight Alliance (“QSA”) and Fruits in Suits (“FinS”) proudly invites you to participate in the Mentorship Program 2013-14: Step Out, Step Up and Step Forward. Now in its fourth year, the Mentorship Program has been facilitating the multi-dimensional development of our Mentees, through the guidance and support of our Mentors. Previously, the disciplines of our Mentors and Mentees have included: Architecture, Banking & Finance, Education, Entertainment, Hospitality, Human Resources, Law, Literature, Marketing & PR, Psychology, Shipping and Technology. This year, we aim to further broaden the scope of our program, by including more industries, to build a strong LGBT-friendly community in Hong Kong.
The key objectives of IRC2013 are:
- Supporting the career and personal development of our mentees
- Building a strong LGBT network across different industries
Why Apply? Step Out, Step Up and Step Forward!
- Step out relates to the personal advice/interaction between the mentors and mentees where they can freely share their coming out as well as other experiences.
- Step up symbolizes the career advice that mentors can provide their mentees to enable our students to kick start and progress their career. Mentors may also benefit from fresh inspirations through interacting with their mentees.
- Step forward means building a strong LBGT network through the mentorship program to push for a more inclusive environment in our community.
Who Should Apply?
- Students, from all Universities in Hong Kong, should apply to become a MENTEE.
- Any working professionals, who are part of the LGBT community and allies, are welcome to become a MENTOR.
A. Application Deadline
Please complete the registration form by Friday 25 October 2013!
Students who want to become our Mentees, please fill in the application form HERE
Professionals who want to become our Mentors, please fill in the application form HERE
B. CV and Skills Workshop
Date and Time: 4pm – 7pm, 28th October (Mon) 2013
Venue: Barclays’ Office
Note: Event designed specifically for Mentees.
C. Launch Event
Date and Time: 7pm, 18th November (Mon) 2013
Venue: Goldman Sachs’ Office
Note: All participants, both Mentors and Mentees, should attend this event.
D. Events throughout the Year
Both QSA and FinS holds LGBT events throughout the year, mentors and mentees are encouraged to actively participate in them to build a strong LGBT-friendly network.
If you have any questions about the program, please feel free to contact Erica Ying (QSA) at email@example.com or Eric Herrera (FinS) at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Inclusion Recruitment Conference 2013
Date: 28th September 2013, Saturday
Time: 14:30 – 18:20
Venue: Lower Lobby, Novotel Century Hong Kong Hotel, 238 Jaffe Road, Wanchai, HK
Admission Cost: Free for students; HKD$50 for general public
Registration: DEADLINE EXTENDED! Complete the registration form by WED 25th September 2013 18:00 at this Link.
- Learn about company policies in recruiting, retaining & protecting diverse talents (e.g. based on gender, disability, sexual orientation, race or ethnic group etc.)
- Gain a better understanding of the diversity and inclusion initiatives of leading financial institutions and international law firms
- Find out about internship and/or graduate job opportunities
- Network with senior executives and recruiters from leading financial institutions and international law firms in HK and get advice on job applications from them
- Learn about how LGBT entrepreneurs started their business and how being different makes them
A. Key Note Speech
A key note speech will be given by Dr. York Chow Yat–ngok, the Chairperson of the Equal Opportunities Commission (EOC).
B. Panel Discussions
Panel 1 – Step Out: Inclusion in Recruitment
- Panelists from leading firms will break pre-conceptions that deter diverse candidates from seeking employment in their respective industries.
- Panel 1 Speakers:
- Helen Hui (Head of Transaction Banking,Standard Chartered Bank)
- Michael Acquavella (Head of Campus Recruiting, Barclays)
- Su-Ling Voon (Managing Director from Legal & Compliance, Morgan Stanley)
Panel 2 – Step Up: Inclusion in the Workplace
- Senior executives will share their experience on efforts in promoting an inclusive workplace.
- Panel 2 Speakers:
- Alan Schiffman (Partner, Skadden)
- Celine Tan (JP Morgan)
- Michael Broadbery (Managing Director in Compliance, Goldman Sachs)
- Simon Chapman (Partner, Herbert Smith Freehills)
Panel 3 – Step Forward: Inclusion in Entrepreneurship
- Entrepreneurs will discuss emerging business opportunities in industries relating to the Pink Dollar.
- Panel 3 Speakers:
- Arnault Castel (Kapok)
- Timothy Loo (Editor, PLUG Magazine)
Meet the Recruitment/Diversity teams from Barclays, BlackRock, Goldman Sachs, Herbert Smith Freehills, JP Morgan, Morgan Stanley, Skadden, Standard Chartered and UBS!
Center of Development and Resources for Students, The University of Hong Kong
Equal Opportunities Commission
Law Association, HKUSU
Out & Vote (Organiser of Action Q)
Undergraduate Law Society, CUSU
QSA 7·1遊行 Out On The Street
After the craze of exams and job hunting, QSA took it to the street at the 1 Jul rally. Read about what our friend David has to say about his feeling after the march!
Queer Straight Alliance
QSA Post-apocalypse X’mas Party 2012
A Whole New Beginning – 22 December 2012
Inclusion Recruitment Conference 2012
DARE TO BE DIFFERENT!
The objective of the Inclusion Recruitment Conference is to encourage businesses and elite students in Hong Kong to recognise the increasing importance of diversity and inclusion in recruitment and workplace, which is an increasingly popular topic in both the commercial and institutional atmospheres in Asia.
- Banking / Finance
- Business / Corporate
- Media / Entertainment
- Non-Profit Organisations (NGOs)
- To be confirmed
To be released soon
Who should attend?
- Undergraduate and postgraduate students (in particular female, LGBT, international and exchange students, students with disabilities)
- Recent graduates
- HR / Diversity professionals
- General public interested in inclusion and diversity and HR topics
History of Inclusion Recruitment Conference
Last year’s event was attended by over 150 delegates from universities across Hong Kong as well as professionals in HR / Diversity fields. The event also attracted sponsors and speakers from a variety of industries, predominantly the financial sector in HR / diversity departments. More information can be found on the facebook page.
QSA END OF YEAR PARTY
You are invited to join us for a celebration of a fruitful year at school! Come catch up with old friends and meet our new members over a glass of their signature martini at T:ME.
Date: Friday 25 May 2012
Time: Starting at 7pm; Speeches and lucky draw at 8.30pm
Venue: T:ME, B/F, 65 Hollywood Road, Hong Kong
IDAHO HK 2012 Campaign – What To Fear?! 怕咩?!
今年，第八屆國際不再恐同日 (IDAHOT) 主題為” What To Fear?! 怕咩?! ”，目的以消除在香港對男/女同性戀者,雙性戀者及跨性別者的欺凌，以及紀念在過去幾年內遭欺凌的受害者。
日期: 2012年5月12日 (星期六)
時間: 15:00 – 17:00
我們呼籲大家穿 ”黑衫” 來支持當日活動
This year, the 8th International Day Against Homophobia and Transphobia Hong Kong rally (IDAHOT) is themed “What To Fear?!”with aims to eliminate homophobic and transphobic bullying in Hong Kong, and to commemorate victims of bullying in past years.
Date：May 12, 2012 (Sat)
Time：15:00 – 17:00
Venue：Chater Gardens, Central, HK
Speak Out – Speak the Unspeakable
The Casserole Club: 放映會及導演Steve Balderson和演員Garrett Swann座談會
The Casserole Club: First Screening in Hong Kong and a Panel Discussion with Director Steve Balderson and Actor Garrett Swann
QSA proudly presents the first screening of The Casserole Club in Hong Kong! Homosexuals are very often accused of being promiscuous. But does it mean straight married couples are immune to the allure of physical pleasure? Come to the film screening and discuss with director Steve Balderson and gay actor Garrett Swann on topics such as marital values and come-out experience.
QSA全力支持The Casserole Club 香港首次放映。同性戀常被指性生活放盪，但已婚夫妻又能抵受誘惑嗎? 導演Steve Balderson及劇中同性戀男演員Garrett Swann將與你剖析婚姻價值觀及同性戀出櫃等議題。
To celebrate the start of the long holiday, we are holding a Xmas Party on Friday 23 Dec 2011.
For more details, please visit: https://queerstraightalliance.wordpress.com/qsa-events/
Our HKU Campus Awareness Day will be on Sept 23rd (Fri) from 2.30pm to 5.30pm outside Knowles’s Building.
Come and say hello to our committee members and sign up for our events!